Sep 29, 2011

I miss my mix tapes

Some random thoughts on a Thursday night.

---------------------

I miss my mix tapes.

---------------------

I was listening to a favorite album of mine on the old iPod today, when I was thrown off by how quickly one song followed the other.

This particular album was previously owned only on cassette tape before the world went digital, and the song that had just ended was the last one on what us old fogeys used to call "side one".

There used to be this moment of silence when the song was finished, followed by a satisfying click when the tape changed direction in the dashboard of my old car.

I love my iPod, but sometimes I miss the pace of cassette tapes.

---------------------

My wife informed me when I got home tonight that the shirt I was wearing did not go with the pants I had on.

This came as a crushing blow, because nobody had said anything at work, so I must assume that everybody was snickering at me behind my back, and I have been working so hard to cultivate an air of respect.

----------------------

I miss writing about the Royals.

----------------------

Our dog had oral surgery this week, so we've been feeding him soft foods and weening him off of these pain meds.

He also had his testicles removed, because, you know, if you're going under for a few hours, it makes sense to lose everything you love.

Anyway, the poor guy is finally starting to feel better, but it's been heartbreaking to see him woozy and wobbly.

I think the hardest thing about having pets in distress is that you can't explain what's happening to them. You can't reason the pain away and point to brighter days.

Normally, it's such a blessing for a pet to live in the moment -- happy to see you, devastated when you walk out of the room, ecstatic when you give them a new toy or treat. They remind us that if you can just step away from work and bills and responsibilities, the only thing that really matters is right now.

But, when right now is full of pain and confusion, the world must be so daunting and scary, and a few scratches behind the ears just doesn't seem like enough.

That said, I think we could all use a few scratches behind the ears now and then. I know it would make me feel better.

No comments: