Jan 20, 2011

A Dialogue Drill

Personally, I think the receptionist was being a little dramatic.

Why don't you decide for yourself.

The phone rang at about 8:15a.m.

"Hello?"

"Mr. Miller, this is Andrea from Dr. Kalifeh's office."

"Crap."


"Sir. Are you on your way in for your appointment with Dr. Kalifey this morning?"

"No. I'm sorry. I completely forgot."

"Sir. The doctor came in early today for your appointment specifically."

"I know. I don't know what happened. I guess I forgot to look at my calendar last night."

"Myself and the hygenist all came in early. It is not good to miss these appointments."

"I know. I know."

"We did call and confirm with you on Tuesday."

"Yes, you did. I remember."

"We require 48 hours notice if you are going to cancel an appointment."

"I didn't want to cancel it."

"Then, why aren't you here?"

"I told you. I forgot."

"Even with our reminder phone call?"

"Yeah. You know, yesterday was a crappy day at work and my mind wandered. I really am sorry."

"I was going to take my daughter into work today and had to call a friend to do it, because I came in eary for you."

"Wow. That's too bad."

"The doctor is upset, too. He has to pay me and the hygenist. This is costing him money."

"Well, can't you do some filing or something?"

"My job is to make sure you are here. I called you two days ago. I may get in trouble because you didn't come."

"Really? That doesn't seem fair."

"Life is not fair. You get to sleep in while a stranger takes my daughter to work."

"A stranger? I though you said a friend was taking her."

"But, I hardly know him. And I don't trust him. You promised to come in today and look at what's happened. How am I supposed to believe in anything anymore?"

"Look, I'll reschedule. I'll come in. I promise."

"How do I know you'll come?"

"Can't you bill me or something if I break the appointment again?"

"So, you think money will solve this problem? Is that how you handle everything?"

"That's not fair. I'm trying to be a good guy here. I overslept and didn't check my calendar."

"Please don't yell at me, sir."

"I'm sorry. You're right. I should have been there."

"Thank you, sir. Thank you for admitting you were wrong."

"Well, I am sorry. Can I please reschedule?"

"We have an opening in three weeks. Wednesday at 9a.m."

"That sounds perfect."

"I will call to remind you."

"Great. I can't wait."

"School is out that week. Perhaps you can meet my daughter."

"That would be wonderful."

"You should bring her a treat."

"Really? Is that appropriate?"

"She's very upset with you right now for making me come into work early."

"She sounds a lot like her mother."

"I am very proud."

"I'm going to go now. I don't want to miss any more appointments today."

"You're a better person already, sir. Good-bye."

"Good-bye."

So, yeah. I think I may need to find a new dentist.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can do it...1 a week since the beginning of 2011. Stick with it...they're good.

H.G. Miller said...

Thanks for the encouragement. My goal is one a week, every Thursday night for Friday morning. Except maybe some holiday weeks. We'll see if I can keep it up.